Sunday, June 2, 2013

Book Review: Liar by Justine Larbalestier

A few days ago I posted my "list" of favorite books. Over the next few days I'm going to try to review some of the books on that list that I haven't already reviewed to give you a little bit of an idea of what they are about and why I liked them. Liar was on the honorable mention section of my list. Here's a summary:

Micah is a liar. She lies about everything. And as the narrator of this story, she admits this to us right up front. She tells us how she's lied to everyone in her life from parents, to friends, teachers, random strangers. Most of her lies are harmless, meant for good fun and some laughs. Some of her lies have gotten her into big trouble and branded her the very thing she is. So when Micah's boyfriend is found dead under brutal circumstances and Micah is the last person to have been with him, no one believes her when she says that she wasn't the one who did it. She sets off to tell us, the reader, some very difficult truths. For the first time ever she's ready to finally be honest. But can a chronic liar ever really be truthful?

**I completely loved this book but for reasons so different than why I love other books on my list. For one, I loved having a dishonest narrator. It wasn't until I was about halfway through though the book though that I really got this. Like any other avid reader, I trusted who was telling me the story. Micah seemed so genuine and relatable that I chucked out everything she'd told me about her--the most important of which was that SHE LIES!! Even though she'd clearly tell you "this is the truth," I found myself never knowing if what I had just been told was actually THE TRUTH. The story telling style in Liar was great with plenty of flashbacks that were relevant to each current section of the story. Larbalestier takes you on a whirlwind mystery of who-dunnit and truth vs. lie that will leave you frustrated but in a head-shaking, smiling kind of way. I have never been more surprised by a story before which is why Liar made the honorable mention section of my list of favorite books.

Thanks for reading! See you back here soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment