Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Writer's Voice Entry



Query:

Dear Coaches,

Fifteen-year-old Caraway (Cara) knows her place in life. She’s the daughter of one of England’s most prominent Earls. Like any other lady of her time, she’ll marry a noble and uphold the respected Godwin name. But Cara isn’t like other ladies. She can see the faeries. And this isn’t just any time in England. This is the tenuous year before the Norman Conquest. Character driven with a strong female voice, I AM CARAWAY is a young adult historical fantasy complete at 112,000 words. It gives a new perspective on faerie folklore—just how evil these creatures really were and what made them all disappear.

Seven years after narrowly escaping death, rumors of her father’s declining reputation are the only thing Cara has to worry about—that is until the evil faerie that almost killed her comes back. Then Thorn shows up. He’s the faerie that abandoned Cara on that day when she was eight. Thorn tells her she’s a part of a prophecy and if she doesn’t fulfill her fate, the faeries will end mankind.

In order to learn the details of her destiny, Cara and Thorn set off on a journey across England—a journey strife with secrets, lies, witches, and faeries. And while Cara’s father incites the Norman Invasion, Cara and Thorn fall into a love that is forbidden. But then Thorn betrays Cara, forcing her into the hands of her worst nightmare. If she can stay alive and fulfill the shocking details of the prophecy, Cara will forever change the course of human history.

I'm a stay-at-home mom with a BA in Journalism and an Amazon "Books I Love" list of over 400 YA novels! Fans of Philippa Gregory, Melissa Marr, and Julie Kagawa will enjoy my novel as it has the timeless feel of a historical blended with the darkness of evil faeries and layered with a breathtaking romance between two people who couldn't be more wrong yet more right for each other.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Christie Murillo


First 250:



Chapter 1 
Early June, 1065 

My body is careful and my breathing is quiet as I inch closer to the sitting room door. I can hear Pa saying something but his voice sounds far away. He must be on the other side of the room, facing the window. I press my ear against the cold wood and steady myself with a hand. Silence hangs heavy in the air.
“Just say it Gertrud. What did you find out? What did the pythonissa see?”  
I jerk back, alarmed at the roughness in Pa’s voice. It seems like his agitation has gotten worse these last few years. He never used to talk to us that way. But lately all he does is pace and frown and bark orders. And ever since we left the ceremony this morning he’s been especially distracted and edgy. Gertrud disappeared on some errand after that. When she returned and went straight to the sitting room with my parents, I decided I had to find out what was going on. Eavesdropping seemed like the best way. 
“It’s alright, Gertrud. Just tell us.” Mum’s voice, nice and calm.  
“It was her.” I can almost see Gertrud wringing her hands in nervousness. “This is her destiny. She is the one who will save us. The pythonissa said they will kill us all.”  
Pa says something I can’t hear. I think he asks a question because his voice rises in pitch. Gertrud’s voice is quiet. “Yes, she was certain. And it makes sense too—with all the nightmares and after what happened…it will occur after the cold season.”  


30 comments:

  1. Historical fantasy, and medieval England at that? Awesome! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely interesting. The faeries in England thing isn't a new angle but them being mostly evil is. I'm definitely intrigued and I would read on. I love the last line in the first paragraph of your query. It made me sit up and take notice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I love the historical and fantasy elements! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Amber. What made them disappear--that's a great hook. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the hook! So many people in that time period believed in faeries and I wanted to give a reason for why they stopped.

      Delete
  5. You had me at "Norman Conquest." I'm such a medieval geek it isn't even funny! I'd be psyched to read the rest of this—there are far too few YA medievals! Good luck.

    http://www.blairthornburgh.com/writing/the-writers-voice-entry/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love medieval times too! And I agree--it's a time period that isn't touched on in YA (that could be good or bad) Thanks again!

      Delete
  6. I love faeries, good, bad AND ugly. :) and a historical setting can't be beat. There's not enough historical YA. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well these are definitely bad and ugly! I too love historical settings-they're such a great way for teens to learn a little history in a fun way!

      Delete
  7. I'm so happy to see faeries as the menace people once thought they were :). I'm a sucker for medieval and the premise sounds awesome. Best of luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's true, people did see them as a menace--it's where we get those lovely bedtime stories from! Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  8. Ooooh, bad faeries, yesss. I like this premise! Luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I echo the sentiments you so kindly left on my blog - yay historical fantasy, because it is the best and there is not enough of it!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm stoked on the idea of a historical fantasy with faeries that explains why the faeries disappeared. I love fantasy. I love history. I love England. You are dealing with a lot of things I love! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've always been fascinated by faerie mythology! I hope to be able to share my story someday!

      Delete
  11. Mine has a different take on Faerie mythology too, and I love how there's room for so many interpretations of these myths! Best of luck to you and Cara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we'll both get to share our stories someday!

      Delete
  12. This sounds very intriguing and I enjoyed the first 250 words a lot...it has a ton of conflict and I'd keep reading for sure! The query is great too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really enjoyed this entry. Best if luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the intensity of the emotions you've paint here, and the twist on the proper young lady! Best of luck with the contest!

    --Suzanne
    www.suzannewarr.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a blast to tinker with a whole new mythology. I'm a massive fan of historical fiction - sending you good luck vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love faerie mythology and I too am a huge fan of historical fiction! Best of luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete