Saturday, April 27, 2013

Book Review: Starters by Lissa Price

I'm pretty sure this was another book I saw a recommendation for on EW. If I remember correctly, the author talked about how she only planned on doing two books to tell this story--a duology. I thought this was really cool because it seems like all you find these days are trilogies. It's hard to even find a good stand-alone book. Hooray for Price for deciding to be different. Here's my summary of Starters:

In a dystopian future, all that's left after the genocide spore are those who were vaccinated--the old and the young. Basically, everyone between 20 and 60 was killed by the virus. Medical advances allow those that are over 60 to live past the century mark. They're referred to as "Enders." Callie, her brother Tyler, and her best friend Michael--all "Starters," have no grandparents to claim them so they spend their days as squatters trying to find food and stay alive. When Callie hears about a company offering a lot of money to teens willing to rent their bodies to enders for a short time period, allowing those enders to get to be young again, she eagerly accepts. This will be her chance to get medicine for her brother and a real home for all three of them. Callie agrees to have a chip implanted in her brain and rent her body to an old lady. But the chip malfunctions and Callie wakes up living in the rich lady's home, driving her car, hanging out with her other ender friends in rented bodies, and even dating the grandson of the Senator. Then Callie discovers something horrific--the old lady wants to use her body to commit murder. And that's not all--the company and the man in charge of the renting has chilling secrets that no one could ever have dreamed anyone capable of. And just when things couldn't possibly get any worse--a renter turns up in a body Callie never expected.

**This book hooked me from page one and didn't let me go until I finished. Fast paced and full of weird science and set in a scary future, I loved Callie's story. Her voice was just what you'd expect from a 16-year-old girl who has no family except a little brother. The lengths she goes to to keep them safe is impressive. I loved the friendship between Callie and Michael and had high hopes it would turn into something more. But then when Callie starts dating Blake, the Senator's grandson, I kinda ended up liking him too. The twists and turns and revelations this book had were always unexpected and often had me gasping in surprise. The ending completely shocked me. I can't wait to read the conclusion to Callie's story when Enders comes out next year.

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think in the comments below and if you have a book suggestion, I'd love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment