Friday, April 12, 2013

Book Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

I picked this book up because the cover was cool and I love the title. 'Unbecoming?' What could that mean? My best guess was that some girl was either going to go over the edge insane or over the edge psycho. I read the inside flap and was intrigued but it was vague so I didn't know what to expect. When I finished all I could think was "Wow! This book was awesome!" Like all the other summaries out there, I can't give you too much information because it would completely ruin it for you. Here's my summary:

Mara Dyer wakes up in the hospital and has no memory how she got there. She quickly learns she was involved in an accident with her friends and that they are dead. Mara however, is unharmed. Quick witted, observant, and not afraid to speak her mind, Mara deals with her PTSD and the hallucinations that go along with it and starts trying to figure out exactly what happened to her and her friends. She feels there's something more going on with why she was unharmed and why she can't remember the accident. Slowly though, the details begin to emerge in bits and pieces of memory flashes. And all the while, Mara is falling in love with Noah. He's the perfect counterpart to her shock-value sense of humor and the two of them together balance each other out in a way that is good for them both. Together they discover what happened to Mara and her friends. What they find will completely turn their world upside down.

**So this is one of those books I started reading thinking I'd take my time and read it over the course of a week. Well, I was wrong. Once I got past the first chapter it was like, BAM! Mara drew me in and didn't let go. Hodkin brilliantly creates a world that is believable and full of major and minor characters that are so well drawn you can't help but love them all in their own way. The love between Noah and Mara will have you at times laughing out loud and fanning yourself. When I got to the end and learned just what the big mystery was, I was blown away. Not very many books surprise me and that's saying a lot since I read like 7 books a month. This book shocked me with it's surprise ending. It is completely unexpected and will have you clamoring to get you hands on the next book to find out more. Book 2 in the Mara Dyer trilogy, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, is already out and I need to read it ASAP!

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to comment below and come back Sunday for another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment