Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Book Review: The Infernal Devices trilogy: Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Usually when I do a post over a trilogy of books I include a summary of each. This is hard to do without giving away spoiler-y details but I try my best. I'm not going to do that here. 

Let me start by saying that Cassandra Clare is my absolute, all-time favorite author. I first heard of her Mortal Instruments books not long after I finished the Twilight books. EW did a review on the last book in the trilogy and said they were must reads. Well EW is never wrong for me so since the final book was out and I knew I wouldn't have to wait to read all of them, I checked them out at my library. I was blown away. Couldn't put these books down, devoured them in a weekend, in love. I told my sister she had to read them ASAP. She did and thus started our complete marvel and adoration of all things Cassie Clare (we seriously can discuss her books for hours). When the Mortal Instruments trilogy ended I was satisfied. Sad to leave the world Clare had created, but satisfied. Then wait! She announced she was writing a new trilogy set in the same world but about 150 years earlier. YAY!! Since then, I've been painfully and patiently awaiting each release of The Infernal Devices, buying them as soon as they came out and tearing through them in like 2 days. I was lucky to receive an advanced copy of Clockwork Princess thanks to a Literary Rambles contest. I had to put off reading it for about a week but I just finished it this morning. Clare did not disappoint. She wrote a beautiful conclusion to an amazing story. I cannot wait for the last book in the Mortal Instruments series (which didn't stop after the first three after all but went on to include three more) because I know Clare will do it justice like she did Clockwork Princess.  

So you're probably asking: What are the books about?

Well I will briefly sum The Infernal Devices up here:
Tessa Gray leaves New York in 1877 for London in search of her brother. What she finds when she gets there completely changes her life. Tessa is not entirely human. And there is a whole world of secret people and creatures she never knew about. From faeries, to demons, witches, warlocks, angels, vampires, werewolves and even Shadowhunters: the half-angel, half-human (Nephilim) secret society that protects mundanes (humans) from the things that go bump in the night. Tessa ends up at the Shadowhunter Institute and meets Will and Jem, amongst others, and slowly gets caught up in not only a fight for her life, but a fight for her new family her old family and even the world. Eventually Tessa learns just who and what she is. She finds love and feels loss. But her story doesn't end there--she'll go on in the lives of other Shadowhunter characters for generations to come.

If you read any YA books in your life, you have to read Cassie Clare's books. You don't have to like paranormal romance to like her stories. She brilliantly intersects her two series in a way that is so much fun for the reader to experience. You don't have to read one series to read the other but it's all the better if you do. Clare is a master writer who can foreshadow like no other. She geniusly drops puzzle pieces all over the place that once put together will have you envious of her amazing storytelling skills. These are books that you can read again and again and each time you do, you will discover something you missed. Her characters feels so real that when you talk about them with other fans, you feel as though you are talking about actual people. You will breathlessly, with your heart pounding, tear through these books and want to share them with everyone you know.

Thanks for stopping by! I could probably write about my love of all things TMI and TID all day long but I'll stop here (: Feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment